Thursday, October 29, 2020

5 Common Misconceptions About Chronic Pelvic Physical Therapy

Must Read

BARACK OBAMA : AMERICA WANTS ME BACK FOR A 3RD TERM

He was supposed to retire to a triumphant post-presidency. Then Trump happened. Now, as Jason Zengerle reports, Obama is...

Pennsylvania GOP Sen. Pat Toomey Won’t Run For Re-Election in 2022

Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Pat Toomey has announced that he will not run for reelection in 2022. “I will not be...

Barack Obama Reportedly Skeptical of Joe Biden’s 2020 White House Run

The presidential election is officially less than 30 days away. With that in mind, we thought it would be helpful...

1. The only people needing to see a Pelvic PT are women after childbirth.

The interesting thing about this one, is that of the patients I treat, only about 5-10% are post-partum women! The other 90% includes young (with our youngest being 8 years old) to old (with our oldest being 95) men and women experiencing a big variety of symptoms: urinary incontinence, difficulties in urination, bowel incontinence, constipation, abdominal pain, low back/SI pain, sexual dysfunction, pelvic pain or coccyx pain, vaginal or rectal pain, penile or testicular pain, as well as men and women prior to or after having pelvic surgery.

2. Pelvic PTs do not treat men.

False. We treat many men. Now, I will admit that at our specific clinic, we see more women than men, but this is not true of every pelvic physical therapy clinic. Currently, I would estimate 20-30% of my schedule is men. The most common diagnoses we treat for men are post-prostatectomy related incontinence as well as variations of male pelvic pain—however, we also treat men with bowel dysfunction, sexual related pain, urinary dysfunction and tailbone pain.

3. If a person is leaking urine, they definitely need kegel exercises (pelvic floor strengthening).

We have discussed this in the past in other blog posts, but this really is a very common misconception I often have to fight with my patients. Urinary incontinence is a failed system, not just a failed muscle. From a musculoskeletal standpoint, a person needs a well-functioning pelvic floor muscle group, abdominal muscles, hip muscles, diaphragm and low back muscles. People need strong, but flexible muscles that tighten when they need to and relax when they need to.

4. If a person has tried “kegel exercises” and they did not work, Pelvic PT won’t be able to help them.

As a Pelvic PT, I take great offense to that… I mean, honestly, do you think I would need a doctoral degree, 100+ hours of additional continuing education, and a board specialization to teach a person Kegel exercises? That all to say, rehabilitation for the pelvis is much more involved than simply strengthening a muscle group.It involves restoring function—improving muscular support around the pelvis, improving behavioral/dietary habits, and re-training body movements to allow for optimal organ and structural function.

5.  your mother/grandmother/great-grandmother must be genetic and can’t be helped.

Also, not true! Now, I won’t say there aren’t genetic components which may cause a person to be more likely to experience certain conditions than others—but that being said, there is always something that can be done to help! It is important to work with a team of healthcare professionals including physicians, nurses, physical therapists, psychologists and nutritionists to ensure a person gets comprehensive and holistic care to achieve optimal health.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

BARACK OBAMA : AMERICA WANTS ME BACK FOR A 3RD TERM

He was supposed to retire to a triumphant post-presidency. Then Trump happened. Now, as Jason Zengerle reports, Obama is...

Pennsylvania GOP Sen. Pat Toomey Won’t Run For Re-Election in 2022

Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Pat Toomey has announced that he will not run for reelection in 2022. “I will not be running for reelection in 2022...

Barack Obama Reportedly Skeptical of Joe Biden’s 2020 White House Run

The presidential election is officially less than 30 days away. With that in mind, we thought it would be helpful to remind readers that despite...

LeBron James Walks Off Court With Time Left on Clock During NBA Finals

However, those who are watching got to see Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James throw a hissy fit on Monday night after his team...

AOC Says Dems Must Consider Impeaching Trump, Barr To Stop Supreme Court Nomination

Impeachment would force the U.S. Senate to hold a trial at a time when it has precious few days left on its calendar to...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This